Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Assignment 21A- Reading Reflection No.2

Assignment 21A- Reading Reflection No.2
I chose the book Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirsky
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The general theme is to use our time much more effectively and to use technology to our advantage rather than a time waster.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
This book has connected the time management skills aspect of the class with the book. I have learned from both of these the advantages to using your time more effectively in order to get the most out of your day.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
I would create an exercise that would ask students to alternate days when they are allowed to use technology and days they are not allowed to use it. They would do this for a week and discuss each day and how it went differently, better or worse.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

My biggest surprise would have to be that I waste so much of my time using technology for such unnecessary reasons. It helped me to reflect on how I should disconnect more often and instead use technology for specific reasons rather than for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Delaney,

    From reading your responses to your question, I feel that i would have really enjoyed reading this box. As a college student, I find myself draw to different technologies like my cellphone and computer. It feels like I can not live without them when really I can. I find myself wasting a lot of unnecessary time on them. This problem is a cause of my poor time-management skills. I think that your activity will be really cool to do. I would love to see how I would do with and without my technology for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Delaney, the book you read was my second choice on books to read. It makes sense to use time effectively, since when we waste time we become very unproductive. Your idea on implementing days where you cannot use technology is interesting, I wonder would students be for this idea or against it. Being able to disconnect from the world once in a while is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete