Thursday, September 28, 2017

Assignment 7A- Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1

Assignment 7A
Paper Towel Dispensers
Opportunity:  Everytime I go to use an automatic paper towel dispensers I need to get at least 2 sheets in order to completely dry my hands.
Paper towel dispensers should have atleast 5 inches more of paper come out with the first sheet.
  • The who: Everyday people who use public bathrooms
  • The what: Waste of paper or left with wet hands
  • The why: Possibly trying to cut down costs

Testing the who: The who could be any person who needs to use a public bathroom. Everyone in my current who share the need. The only person who would probably not need this would be small children whom have small hands.
Testing the what: This what can range from knowing that you are going to need more paper because you are used to needing more and in turn wasting paper to being in a rush only getting one sheet of paper and being left with wet hands.
Testing the why: Maybe paper towel dispenser companies are unaware of this problem. Maybe they want us to continue using their machines in order to satisfy the need of swiping your hand and automatically receiving a paper towel.


Interview #1- This person spoke about how they also felt this small annoyance all the time and didn’t understand why this was the case. We also discussed and wondered whether other people find this as annoying as well.

Interview #2- This person did not agree with this problem and felt as though it was not a problem at all.

Interview #3- This person completely agreed with this problem and said it has been bothering her for years. She said she always needs to get 2 or 3 sheets from the automatic dispenser and it's annoying how long it takes to dispense.

Interview #4- This person said that they agree that it can be a problem and annoyance for some but it didn’t bother him.

Interview #5- This person agreed that it is very annoying to have to deal with the automatic dispensers at public restrooms. They don’t understand why it just doesn’t dispense enough paper towel in order to properly dry hands.


Given your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn't know before?

  • The interviews that I conducted gave me a better perspective on what people believe about automatic paper towel dispensers in public places. This is a mere annoyance to seem and not a bother at all to others. It seems that something should be done to fix this problem. It would be relatively easy to fix as well.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Delaney!

    Wow, I am so happy you talked about this unmet need! I honestly thought I was the only one who felt that this was a problem. I feel like I could speak on this issue forever. I always have to reach for about 3 or more paper towels before fully drying my hands. It is annoying to do that hand wave motion over and over again to get another paper towel. It would be great if they did extend each paper towel about 5 more inches. It would save more paper and time in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I seem to notice this issue all the time. Sometimes it takes 2 sheets of paper to dry my hands. Recently I learned of a way to just use 1 sheet. By shaking your hands before you get the paper, it only requires one sheet! This is also better for the environment and helps you in the process of having to rip 2 sheets down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Delaney,
    I agree with the opportunity you came up with. Having been in numerous situations where the public restroom towel dispenser isn’t enough, I think your suggestion to add 5 inches would be very helpful. In the long run it may even be more ecofriendly so that people cut down waste and use only one paper towel rather than the two or more that people normally grab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Delaney,
    This was a great opportunity that you identified, and one that I hadn't really noticed before but certainly agree with now that you pointed it out. I am surprised that not everyone you interviewed considered it to be bothersome or an annoyance at all. Any time I use a paper towel dispenser on campus I have to use multiple paper towels and wait for each one to come out.

    ReplyDelete